Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Coming up!.



We will be watching Maya Deren's Divine Horseman, and a few of her shorts in the next coming week. Stay tuned for times/places.

Also I have managed to track down a copy of Leontine Sagan's Maedchen in Uniform which I am extremely delighted about it. Here are some wiki notes I pulled about the film because they are relevant to what I am trying to do now, 78 years after the creation of her film.

"The film was groundbreaking in a number of ways: firstly for its all-female cast; secondly for its sympathetic portrayal of lesbian pedagogical eros and homoeroticism revolving around the passionate love of a fourteen-year-old (Thiele) for her teacher (Dorothea Wieck); and thirdly for its co-operative and profit-sharing financial arrangements."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leontine_Sagan

HEY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THESE FILM MAKERS ARE YET, DO YOUR READING! PLEASE BE ON PAGE 92 BY MARCH 15TH! This is a resonable request.

And last but not least, I have become fully aware of the gravity of Leni Riefenstahl's relationship to the Nazi Party and realize how fucked up it is/she was and am no longer blinded by the warm romantic glow of Das Blaue Licht. It got me all fuzzy, but I've come down enough to have a reality check. Cool.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for spearheading all this Kanako...cinema is often a lonely business, it's so cool to talk to others about films with purpose! I believe in the radical potential of cinema for political incitement, it's cool to know someone else out there does too!

    ReplyDelete